Information for Incoming Freshmen
Welcome to EG Orchestra! We are so excited to have you join our program! Check out the information below and contact Ms. Brown if you have any questions!
Orchestra Class Information:
- There are 2 curricular orchestra classes during the school day at EGHS: Concert Orchestra (Intermediate Level), & Symphony Orchestra (Advanced Level).
- Orchestra students are eligible to register for Symphony Orchestra for starting freshman year. Acceptance to Symphony Orchestra is based on an audition. Auditions will take place annually in March, and students will receive information for auditions in February.
- All students enrolled in Concert or Symphony Orchestra are also eligible to audition for and participate in Chamber Orchestra, which meets on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday during zero hour (7:05-8:05am).
Frequently Asked Questions by Incoming Freshmen:
- Can I participate in orchestra and sports at the same time? Absolutely! We have students in orchestra that are 3 sport athletes!
- Can I take AP classes and orchestra at the same time? Yes! We have many students that are enrolled in multiple AP classes and orchestra.
- What periods during the day do the orchestras meet? Chamber - Zero Hour, Symphony - 4th/5th periods, Concert - 5th/6th periods. For Symphony and Concert Orchestra, one of the two periods is your lunch period.
- If I play cello/bass, do I need to bring my instrument from home? No. We have enough school-owned cellos and basses for you to use a school instrument while at school.
- If I play violin/viola, where do I store my instrument in the orchestra room? Every violin and viola student is assigned a locker in the orchestra room. EG orchestra provides a lock for each locker, so students do NOT have to provide their own locks.
- I love music! How can I get more involved beyond orchestra class? There are tons of opportunities for you to get more involved! Some of these include: District 214 Honors Orchestra, ILMEA District and State Orchestra, Youth Orchestra (click on "Links and Resources" page for more information), Musical Pit Orchestra, Jazz Band/Ensemble, & Variety Show and more!
- Should I bring my instrument (violin/viola) on the first day of school? Yes. We will assign lockers on the very first day of school in class.